My mother in law came into town this week so the limited after work hours have been spending cleaning the house and garage. This resulted in limited shop time so I decided to put together a test piece for the leg finish.
I had purchased some green and yellow from the Old Fashioned Milk Paint company with the intention of using on the next project. I used a cutoff piece and used my smithing plane followed by two coats of yellow. Then I added a coat of oil to one side and added two coats of green. The first coat of each color got lightly sanded with 400 grit and every coat was burnished with a between coat sanding pad. Then a coat of oil in the green.
I had some adhesion problems with the green over the oil so I am glad I did a test piece. I’m also not super happy with the resulting color but I will see what SWMBO thinks.
I’m also planning on trying the red under black finishing regiment from the Chairmaker’s Notebook. I have ordered some Van Dyke crystals and once they arrive I will give it a try.