Over the weekend I finished up my ornamental fence and lime washed the other retaining wall.
I had big plans; my wife and kids were going to be out of the house for the month of august and I was going to knock out a few projects around the house. Unfortunately, shortly before 4th of July weekend I got sick and it took 2 months to figure out what it was (I’m 98% back to normal). On the plus side I lost a bunch of weight that needed loosing but on the downside very little got done.
Sunday I finally got started on one of those projects. When we moved into our house I had the old retaining walls inspected and was told they had decades of life left so rather than replace them we planned to hide them: the right one with a bamboo hedge and the left with a decorative fence.
I had originally planned on using cedar for the fence but 6 months ago I found some Ipe (Brazilian Walnut) on Craig’s list and have been storing it in my garage ever since. I had sunk the support posts a while back (the retaining wall has no footing) so I mitered 7 boards to length using my circular saw and pre-drilled screw holes (I’m using self taping stainless screws so predrilling was more about maintaining spacing) which was followed by walnut tinted deck oil on all sides.
Another 4 or 5 boards will be added along with a return on the right side.