As I had hoped the fog cleared and the sun came out on Sunday afternoon. Both the top and bottom spent a bit of time in the sun while I set up the new HVLP sprayer that I picked up on clearance from highland woodworking.
I’ve got to say the sprayer was a great addition to my garage, it makes finishing so much quicker and easier. The top received around 7 or 8 coats of amber shellac (thinned from the can to 2 lb) and the base received 1 coat of amber (to use up what was in the sprayer and 6 or 7 coats of garner shellac (in an attempt to darken in a bit more. I sprayed the parts separately and then reassembled.
All in all I am happy with the results so thanks to Mr. Plane for his staining advice last year. I will let the finish harden this week and then finish it up next weekend. I’m going to burnish it a bit and apply paste wax (clear on the top and darker on the base).