Back stool seat layout

It’s been a busy few weeks at work but the company I’ve been fixing has finally turned the corner (yay!) so I get to be home for a couple of weeks.  I snuck in a couple hours in the garage and smoothed out the seat blank for the back stool.

After trimming the front edge on the band saw and smoothing it out with my low angle block plane I marked out the edges of the seat and the locations for the mortices.

Advertisements

Bending fail

Well this weekend I tried to bend the crest rail do my back stool but things did not go great.


First the bending form needed to be built.  I glued up two pairs of boards and then cut them into curves which were then glued together.


I then used the oscillating spindle sander to smooth out the curves.  The piece of wood then went into a roasting pan for 75 min per the Anarchists Design book’s instructions.  When I placed the board into the form I had considerable difficulty  compressing the form and soon hard the sound of cracking.


I think there were several problems; the wood is likely driver than I intended as I had planned to steam bend months ago.  Secondly, the wood sank in the water so it was more of a boil than a steam (this euclyptus globulus is denser than water). Finally, the grain was not straight and the split was right where a grain line crossed the edge of the board.

Next weekend I will build an actual steam box and I’ll make sure the grain is straight.

Back stool seat blank

It’s been three weeks on travel and the comming week will be a tough one, 4 cities in four days.  I was putzing around in the garage this weekend and given the limited time I had I did not feel like sharpening my morticing chisel which is necessary for me to continue on the bench.  Instead I finally planed the matching joints for the seat blank I started building all those months ago.

Hopfully on Friday I will be back home and get to finish up the seat blank and bite some holes.

Mid November 2016

I’ve notice a down tick in blog posts this week so I assume many are in the same mood I am these days given the state of things.¬† I’m traveling for work and then the holidays which will result in little progress for the near future but this weekend I did fix the out of square double mortise, cut the stretcher to length and marked out the other double tenon.

Off to Dallas, somehow I have never been there before.

Bench progress- the first double tenon

Yesterday I finished the first of the double tenons that join the side stretchers to the legs.  There not pretty and theresukting connection bends to one side (which I assume is a mortice issue).


Unfortunately, the rest will have to wait as my quarter inch morticing chisel is so chipped that it looks like a screwdriver.  Who knows when it happened but luckily I recently ordered the mortice chisel attachment for my Veritas Honing Guide. 

Cover crops are in

A few weekend ago I decided the Fava beans had reached the end so after pulling off any remaining beans I chopped them all down.  Half the waste was left in place and the other half went into the composter.

While doing some final clean up from the landscaping I discovered the dirt at the bottom of the yard (next to the old retaining wall) was loaded with silt.  Basically all of the fine particles had washed from the top of the yard to the bottom creating clay like soil.  A bunch of this diet was moved to the top planter and tilled in with the compost and fava waste.


I then laid out a new drip setup and spread out a mix of cereal rye, white & Crimson clover, and buckwheat seeds for most of the area.


Early rains have helped quite a bit so the wooden planters are cranking along.  


It is interesting to note the plant difference in the various soils as all of the lettuce and brusselsprouts were planted at the same time.  The last most bed is Miracle grow organic planting bed soil, the rift planter is a 50:50 mix of compost and my soil, and the top two brussel sprouts are in the straight garden soil.

As you can see the miracle grow soil is doing the best and straight soil is doing the worst.