After pinning the crest rail and some “making pretty” it was time for stain. I raised the grain with some water and let it dry overnight.
After knocking down the grain I applied some of the same stain mixture from the bench however I poured out the top without storing up the pigment and watered it down substantially.
Last night I applied a coat of linseed oil that was thinned with turpentine (true turpentine).
I’m debating adding some pigment to the second coat of oil, similar to what I did with the bench, but I am not sure yet. I did end up with some uneven staining that I did not notice until it had dried but I’m hoping it will be less noticeable as the process continues.