Work is looking like it’s going to be hectic through the end of the year so I am sneaking small bursts of work in when I can. This past week has been focused on legs (though I’ve been cycling through the steam bending every two days) and if not for some home repairs the undercarriage would have been complete.
After milling the blanks to 1 5/8ths thick square (and 34th inches too long) I marked out the shoulder of the joint three inches from one end. This was then sawn down 1/4 inch on all four sides, a much easier activity with everything square.
Next I used my compas to lay out final diameters on the bottom and marked tapers that would make the legs the target 1 1/2 inch thickness at the shoulder. These were then put through the band saw and planed smooth on two sides before the process was repeated on the other two. Now that I have my system down, I’ll take some pictures of my markings as I’m finding the process very easy this time around.
I also put together a cradle to hold the legs in place while the cornered are being removed. This dramatically sped up the process compared to using a Wonderdog.
Unfortunately, on Friday night I noticed one side of the garage door (original carriage doors) was sagging so much that it was not letting it close properly. After a quick inspection it became clear that the thermal cycles have finally overwhelmed the joints which started to slip. After using bar and pipe clamps to bring the door mostly back together I secured it temporarily so it can still function without destroying itself. A full refurbishment will take more time than I have right now but it will need to be done.