Earlier this week I finally got a coat of oil on the bench and left it to cure. I wish I had remembered Jack Plane’s post about adding lamp black to oil as the grain needs a bit more color. Hopefully I’ll wet sand another coat of oil later this week.
In line with darkening the finish up a bit I did some more test work on the sample piece. I mixed up some warm and burnt Cyprus umber pigment with some water and wiped it on after taping off some areas (The golden strip has some spray shellac on it).
Based on this, I think I will mix up some oil with black epoxy colorant (which I have from a chair repair) and some the the same pigments and try to wet sand it into the test board. I was hoping to shoot shellac this weekend but the summer fog has arrived so it will depend on the weather.