While part of the weekend was successful (the legs for the stool are fitted) the steam bending ended once again in failure. On Saturday I finished building my PVC steam box by cutting the screw fitting off the wallpaper steamer attachment and using it to attach the hose to the pipe. It maintains a pretty consistent 205 degrees so it seems to work well.
I finished milling by straighter grainined blanks and steamed it for an hour and 15 minutes, sure enough it splintered before the form was closed. It did set up enough for me to at least feel how comfortable it would be against my back and I realized he curve is to steep for me.
I flattened out the curves a bit and grabbed another blank and tried again. This time it almost made it close before a split appeared on one side. Part of the problem is that the board is so stiff the vise does not close the form squarely which adds some extra twist.
I left the blank in the form to dry until I get back from this weeks business trip. I’m hoping it will be a small split that I can salvage for this simple back stool. If I can, I will finish construction and see how it feels. I will try and use compression straps for the next one.