I always forget how much fun a sharp drawknife can be. I beveled the chair seat with a mixture of hand saw, drawknife, and my #5 1/2.
Work is looking like it’s going to be hectic through the end of the year so I am sneaking small bursts of work in when I can. This past week has been focused on legs (though I’ve been cycling through the steam bending every two days) and if not for some home repairs the undercarriage would have been complete.
After milling the blanks to 1 5/8ths thick square (and 34th inches too long) I marked out the shoulder of the joint three inches from one end. This was then sawn down 1/4 inch on all four sides, a much easier activity with everything square.
Next I used my compas to lay out final diameters on the bottom and marked tapers that would make the legs the target 1 1/2 inch thickness at the shoulder. These were then put through the band saw and planed smooth on two sides before the process was repeated on the other two. Now that I have my system down, I’ll take some pictures of my markings as I’m finding the process very easy this time around.
I also put together a cradle to hold the legs in place while the cornered are being removed. This dramatically sped up the process compared to using a Wonderdog.
Unfortunately, on Friday night I noticed one side of the garage door (original carriage doors) was sagging so much that it was not letting it close properly. After a quick inspection it became clear that the thermal cycles have finally overwhelmed the joints which started to slip. After using bar and pipe clamps to bring the door mostly back together I secured it temporarily so it can still function without destroying itself. A full refurbishment will take more time than I have right now but it will need to be done.
The past few months have been pretty light on shop time for a variety of reasons. First I was sick, then there was a month long series of interviews for what would have been a major career change and move (didn’t work out), and then September and October were warm and sunny which was more conducive to yard work and family time. But now the fog is officially back and the nights are getting longer so I am back in the shop.
There has been a lot of milling recently and the eucalyptuses seat blanks in particular have been wearing me out. Between their weight and hardness combined with the weird way the dried (the middles of the boards collapsed so I lost a lot of thickness), I think it will be a long time before I work with Tasmanian Blue Gum again.
This weekend I manned to rough mill leg and spindle blanks and made some tapering re-saws to straighten the grain for the crest rail blanks. I’m hoping I end up with at least four good crest tails and seat blanks.
While I waited for the steamer to heat up I I stacked the seat blanks that have been drying for the past year. One of then had a split so I decided to froe it apart. I can attest that once it drys, the interlocking grain is tough to split.
It’s been pretty light on woodworking recently as time and energy have been in short supply. That said, last weekend I made a bit of progress on the stick chairs including the first successful crest rail bend.
After looking at the bending form I decided to smooth out the curve a bit and used the band-saw and spindle sander to make the adjustment. After the sander, it was finally time to use the compass plane I purchased years ago (the rear handle broke off first time I tried to use it, unscrupulous dealer hid a JB Weld repair) and it smoothed out the high spots quite well.
While cleaning the garage I found a piece of ash left over from the bench build and decided to use it as a test bend. It worked perfectly. Hopfully I can get a successful bend in eucalyptus soon.
I had big plans; my wife and kids were going to be out of the house for the month of august and I was going to knock out a few projects around the house. Unfortunately, shortly before 4th of July weekend I got sick and it took 2 months to figure out what it was (I’m 98% back to normal). On the plus side I lost a bunch of weight that needed loosing but on the downside very little got done.
Sunday I finally got started on one of those projects. When we moved into our house I had the old retaining walls inspected and was told they had decades of life left so rather than replace them we planned to hide them: the right one with a bamboo hedge and the left with a decorative fence.
I had originally planned on using cedar for the fence but 6 months ago I found some Ipe (Brazilian Walnut) on Craig’s list and have been storing it in my garage ever since. I had sunk the support posts a while back (the retaining wall has no footing) so I mitered 7 boards to length using my circular saw and pre-drilled screw holes (I’m using self taping stainless screws so predrilling was more about maintaining spacing) which was followed by walnut tinted deck oil on all sides.
Another 4 or 5 boards will be added along with a return on the right side.