Staked chair prototype – part 1

Out contractor did not finish their work on time and as a result my dining table top is still behind stacks of boxes.  This meant that instead of working on the dining table I decided to start on my first staked furniture project which will either be the back stool or one of the chairs from the Anarcist’s Design Book.

I had already cut two sections of red oak to act as the legs so I attempted to split one of them ito thirds, unfortunately this failed completely with the split crossing multiple gain lines resulting in a heavily tapered piece.  After this dramatic failure I decided to pull out my baby band saw and install the half inch wood slicer blade I had previously purchased from Highland Woodworking. The blade made short work of cutting out the  1 7/8th blanks and then slicing the waste into 7/8th blanks for the back rails (seriously that blade is awsome).


Thanks to my splitting fiasco I ended up with one fewer leg blank than I had intended.  Also, the grain for on leg needed the cut to correct it so I also ended up with 2 fewer back rails than anticipated.  Hopefully I can get one or two of these squared up a night so that next weekend I can pull out the planer this weekend.

While I had the band saw out I also rip cut some of the euclyptus.  I pulled on the seat blanks out of my “kiln” and weighed it (down to 17 lbs) and took its surface moisture content (8%).  This particular board had some twisty grain that resulted in the board ripping itself apart on one side.  I ripped off the damage and immediately noticed the center of the board was wet (28% according to my meter).  This stuff is thick so I was not supprised it was still wet, but I was supprised just how wet it was.

Unfortunately, I had similar results with the thinner back support piece.  One board had a small not that resulted in dearly half the board ripping itself apart (seriously Tasmanian Blue Gun has a lot of internal tension) so I ripped that side off and straighten the grain direction in the process.  Sure enough, the center was wet but only in the mid 20’s.  I had left these out of the kiln but now it apears that may have been a mistake so the back rest for the prototype went into the kiln.  It’s only set for 100 degrees so hopefully this won’t result in problems for the steam bending.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s