Euclyptus update and a junk store find

Today I took the day off from work so an electrician could do some work on our house.  We are converting the wood burning fireplace to gas (the fireplace would have cost nearly 10k to make operational again) and he installed the electrical outlet for the blower.  Hopefully we can get it all done before summer when the fog comes back (it’s not a real Mark Twain quote but the Summers here really are cold here).

While the electrician was doing his work, I restacked the drying eucalyptus slabs in a new location and checked their moisture.  Most are at 15% but a couple (the bottom 2) are at 20%.  I also noticed that some are showing some serious deformation.  Hopefully these boards are not experiencing cellular collapse but I won’t know until it is time to mill.

 

This board was square when i bought it, this is why euclyptus globus is not a furniture wood
 
Given how wet things are, I’m going to build a version of Peter Galbert’s kiln , using a light bulb for heat, to give the process a kick.

Once the electricians work was complete, I walked over to the hardware store to grab a can of spray shellac (I should have bought 2) and on the way back I stopped in the local junk shop.  Hidden between two pieces of furniture was a group of rusted hand saws; most were “warranted superior” but there was a single pre-war Disston with wheat handle carving. The edge was straight a the plate was clean enough to barley make out an etch but could not see the model. 

The guy wanted 10 bucks and I may not know much about saws, but I know enough the a pre-war with wheat carvings is probably a decent saw.

   

On the right you can barely make out the 112
 
Well low and behold it’s a turn of the century (1897-1917 based on the medalion) model 112 London Spring steel.  Not too of the line but higher end than the ones I have.

The blade got a scraping with a razor blade and some work with the rust eraser blocks and it looks like it’s in good shape.  The picture does not show it well but it has retained some of its original polish. The handle was cleaned with artisanal turpentine which was followed by 220 and 320 and a coat of BLO.

  
Still needs sharpening and either another coat of oil or some shellac but I think it will make a nice addition to the shop.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s