One of the first phrases my son learned and understood was “Uh Oh”; when you hear a toddler go “Uh Oh” you have no idea what you are going to find. Well last night I had an “Uh Oh” moment (what I said was a bit less family friendly).
As I mentioned in yesterday’s post, I finished chopping the stretcher mortices in one of the legs. I then drilled out one side of the mortice on the other three legs and since it was late, I decided to hold of on the noisy act of chopping and laid out some of the 3/4″ holes in the right front leg (which is the one I finished morticing).
In his original design, Chris had three holes with an 8″ spacing. When I marked these out, the bottom hole ended up in the middle of the mortice. Apparently, when I laid out the mortices I was on the wrong side of the line I marked during the dry fit…..
My choices are:
- keep them where I have them and have stretchers that are 9 inches above the floor instead of the 4 inches I intended
- re-mark and re-drill in the correct place and live with the holes in the legs
The platforms on my saw horses at 8 inches from the floor so I think my Moxon vise will still fit under the bench. Unfortunately I marked and cut the front and rear stretchers based on the “correct” placement and the new position will end up interfering with the lower support of the leg vise so I will end up stooping more to adjust the pin.