A good chunk of the weekend was spent putting some finish on Dino, the prototype rocking dinosaur. I moved the car to the driveway and set up a painting station in the garage (I had plenty of cross ventilation, a fan running, and I wore a chemical respirator). After taping off the black handles and cross piece, I applied two coats of blue to the underside (waiting 30 minutes between coats). I then flipped it over and started to apply the first coat to the topside, unfortunately my can of spray paint ran out in the middle of it and this was 6 pm on Saturday night so the nearby Ace hardware (paint was Ace brand) was already closed. This particular paint says to re-coat within 2 hours or after 5 days so finishing the blue paint will have to wait until next weekend.
I did manage to finish Dino’s rockers; after hanging them from old wire hangers, I applied a coat to each with spray polyurethane and hung them up to dry. After two hours I rubbed out the dust nibs with a “between finishing coats” sanding pad and applied a second coat before leaving them to dry overnight.
The next morning I got up early and sanded them both with 220paper and applied a third coat, running out of spray right at the end (theme for the weekend). Luckily we were heading to the hardware store for lumber to build out a bedroom closet so I was able to apply the fourth coat in the afternoon. I’m going to let them cure for a few days then apply a coat of wax but I was able to set the pieces together to get an idea of how they will look in the end.
I can’t decide if I like the contrast between the dark painted body and the light colored maple; the other choice would be to paint them. One of my friends suggested green so it would look like the dinosaur was walking through the grass and the book painted them black so I made a couple of mockups; right now I am leaning towards green. Let me know your opinions in the comments, I still need to pick a finishing plan for Ralph.