Well it’s nice to finally finish one of the multiple projects I have going on. After making a mess of my first use of liquid hide glue I put a few coats of Watco Oil Varnish blend in Walnut and let it dry over the holidays. Apparently my sanding job was not great (the free wood changed grain so frequently I gave up and pulled out the random orbit) but all in all it came out pretty decent.
What I am most proud of was the decision to hide the wall mounts behind the hooks. I drilled a countersunk hole behind the end hooks and one screw went into a wall stud and the other into an anchor. I also took the time to clock the screw slots; apparently I have spent too much time reading Chris Schwarz’s blogs: http://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodworking-blogs/chris-schwarz-blog & http://blog.lostartpress.com/
It’s not the prettiest thing I have ever built but it is functional (and hopefully temporary).